On September 23, 2022, Saudi Arabia will celebrate its 92nd annual National Day commemorating the birth of the modern Saudi nation. The theme and slogan for this year’s National Day is “Heya Lana Dar,” which means “Saudi is Our Home.” According to the Saudi General Entertainment Authority, this theme “reflects sincere and deep connotations and touches the conscience of Saudis who describe the Kingdom as “Dar (home)” in many popular songs and poems that represent part of Saudi past and present.” National Day will also center around projects of the Saudi Vision 2030.
The holiday will see squares, streets, roads, universities, schools, public and private buildings, and cars throughout the country adorned with the Saudi flag. Many Saudis are given this day from work, so people typically gather with family and friends, celebrate at local restaurants, and enjoy the country’s special day.
For merchandise, branding, and other National Day templates, visit the General Entertainment Authority’s National Day page.
Festivals & Parades
Spontaneous parades are held in Riyadh through the city’s main boulevards, with Saudi flags lining the streets and throngs of people honking their horns, waving flags, blasting music, shouting in celebration, and dancing in the streets. Make sure to wear green, and if you plan on joining in the parade of cars, expect to be there for several hours! The festivities mostly start in the early evening just before sunset.
Every year, fireworks are launched from different points of the capital city. Riyadh is home to the country’s most extravagant fireworks displays which can be seen from pretty much anywhere. Laser/light shows typically accompany Riyadh’s fireworks shows at night.
Riyadh also hosts flyovers of military aircraft every year during the day.
Restaurants & Shopping
- Visit shopping malls in the days leading up to National Day to take advantage of the special discounts and deals available.
- Restaurants throughout the city will be offering special deals and dishes for National Day.
Artistic Displays, Exhibitions & Other Events
- Artistic displays will be visible around the city, headed by artists from all over the world.
- Heritage and cultural displays in Riyadh’s Dariyah Gate historical area are a familiar sight from past National Days.
- A number of concerts will be planned in Riyadh, Jeddah, and Dammam.
- Family-oriented events and fun programs for kids are also typically organized for National Day.
Dating back more than 200,000 years, AlUla is Saudi Arabia’s first UNESCO World Heritage site. Beginning in late September, AlUla will host a number of festivals and events, including:
- September 22-24, 2022: Azimuth 2022 is a three-day festival of music, arts, and gastronomy and will feature both global and local entertainers, artists, and chefs.
- September 29 through October 16, 2022: AlUla Wellness Festival is two weeks dedicated to celebrating the silence of the AlUla Oasis and the Arabian Desert. The festival will feature world-class industry experts and wellness practitioners
Tickets are on sale at www.experiencealula.com.